Travels with Petey

Monday, March 23, 2009



I am more excited about this trip than I have been for months, maybe longer. I am enchanted with the getting ready process -- update the Garmin maps -- gather music for the road, wrassle with the insurance people about getting two months worth of prescriptions instead of only one (some wrassle, that one!). Petey to the groomer, me to the groomer (you should see my toenails), car to the groomer, what clothes, what does Petey need at puppy camp, what side trips, who to visit, and many other decisions delightful to contemplate.

The trip is about going to the Monroe Institute program called "Creative Flow". Use the hemi-sync technology as prep for a creative endeavor. The emailed today to say they had music making thingies, drums and such, and lots of paper, crayons, paint, and clay. I expect to be transformed. I expect to experience a sea change in my creative process and in my creative produce. In anticipation, here is a pic of my latest finished painting (I have one in process as well, but not done enough to show) so we can all check out where I am now and where the week takes me.


First night out I will spend somewhere in Georgia. Second night, at my brother and sister-in-law's house near Asheville, NC. I have promised myself to toe the line on my eating program. I am following the book, "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes." Long story short -- low-fat vegan, low glycemic carbs. While the weight is not melting off me, I actually have lost 10 lbs. in the past two months. There are two hollows in my cheeks and my pants are loose. But I am not sure about the temptations of the road (mostly the radically different BBQ philosophies, and ribs!, existing between here and central Va. And my brother is an amazing cook.