Travels with Petey

Thursday, May 09, 2013

Looking for comfort

I cut the top off my thumb today. I think it was on my razor but I don't remember. I went through one wad of toilet paper and three bandages before the bleeding stopped. I was not thinking clearly this morning until the coffee kicked in. 

I went to the store for bandaids. Going into a store plus needing comfort I was surprised to find myself thinking of paper. Paper is my new comfort purchase. How very much comfort I can squeeze out of a wad of office supplies. 

It used to be that I comforted myself with food. I still would except for my restricting wheat. But now almost all comforting food is either toxic, or fattening or both. So reaching for comfort now I fixate on note pads. Walking into Walgreens this morning for band-aids, I didn't think (treat) candy bar, I didn't think (treat) Cheetos. I thought (treat) spiral bound. 

My friend, TH, worries about the trees. Paper use equals trees down, trees processed.  When I get that office supply gleam in my eye, TH worries about the trees.  I honor him in that. 

I need a new source of comfort; retail therapy comfort. Kindle books? I already have an obscene number of unread books on my Kindle. Real books?  Same tree problem, same kind of unread problem. We've covered food, toxic and/or fattening. Clothes? Shoes? Not my bag. 

Ok, there's real comfort in art supplies. Or how about fabric, floss and heart-shaped buttons?

Deserves exploration.