Travels with Petey

Friday, May 10, 2013

Northern terminus

There was a bit of excitement at the motel last night. I heard a woman screaming, "Call the police, call the ambulance.". Lights out, I peeked through the window. Saw them carrying a man to put him in a minivan. I asked, "Do you need any help?". A boy said, "Medical, medical.". I called 911 and handed the phone to the boy.  He explained everything to the operator.   The ambulance came and gurneyed the man away. A bug had bitten him; he had swelled up like a beach toy. They all got in the minivan and followed the ambulance. This morning I knocked next door to check on them. There he was, deflated to normal and glad to be alive. I got hugged by six people at once, none of whom came up to my shoulder height.  Gulliver in Lilliput.

Just north of Lafayette, we drove past a windmill, then two, then more.  The further we went, the more windmills. Windmills to the farthest horizon. The sky was cloudy, lots of mist and these windmills, slowly slowly turning, white, barely visible in the mist. Happiness, my big happiness. I gave up trying to count them ten miles ago.