Travels with Petey

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Then I cross Maryland, and go into Virginia to see the Shenandoah Valley. This valley is lush and productive, with farms, cows, and goats, lots of goats. There are ridges on either side of the valley, running parallel north and south. The valley is protected, peaceful, broad and beautiful. I wanted to find the property where a group of us had worked very hard to establish a community there, one I valued highly, based in personal development, a spiritual life and organic carrots (maybe even goats). We lost the farm in the late 70's, and I have been in Miami ever since. I saw an allee of trees looking like the ones that lined the road into our property, but I did not recognize the house. I never found the property I was looking for, but I began to cry. It occurs to me that I have never worked this loss, never felt the grief, never mourned the dream. I did so today.

Next leg of the trip is the Skyline Drive, down through the Shenandoah National Forest. (A national park! I can use my lifetime, golden age passport I bought in Denver in May at Ellie's wedding!) Little car does her best chugging and climbing. Brave heart car! The road winds and swoops, climbing and falling, between a cliff up and a cliff down, and suddenly opening out into a jut overlook where one stops the car, gasps from beaty and takes pictures. I discover "driving meditation". Coming out of the park into commercial streets, I am dazed and surfeited.

Let's get some rest and go to Cherokee tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home