Travels with Petey

Sunday, September 10, 2006

There is a commercial for Sara Lee in which they sing “Happy, happy, joy, joy. Happy, happy, joy, joy. Happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, joy, joy.” My thought exactly! I find it very easy to check into a subtle sweet condition of joy as I am driving down the road and see things that are pretty. The black-eyed susan, summer’s most powerful expression. The way the clouds sit above the road. A tree anticipating fall’s color scheme. Small majesties. I am a very happy camper (well, moteller).

And in exactly this mood, we are on the road to Rochester, where I will drop Eelin at the airport before going on to Niagara, when a convoy of motorcyclists comes up on our left and in really neat, courteous and orderly fashion come past us and over to the right lane in front of us, two by two. The final couple is none other than Randy, my friend from Old Forge, with his honey behind, both grinning, laughing and waving. I illustrate the word “elated” for everyone to see, by yelling “Hey, Randy, hey, buddy!” out the window. Sorry I scared Petey, but Eelin was elated as well. We laughed for several miles. Nice encounter.

Eelin is a very good traveling companion. She is an excellent navigator, a meticulous planner and every bit as interested in finding great food as I am. And I do not have a motel for Niagara, nor any idea of what to do once Eelin is on the plane. Petey and I stop at the rest area. And I see the tourist info booth. Who knew? The woman behind the desk is very kind, and when I asked her if she could help us find a clean safe quiet motel in Niagara Falls that was both pet-friendly and affordable, she had just the place. And was friends with the proprietor. And made us a reservation right there and then. That’s the way to go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home