Travels with Petey

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Canada – Let me tell you about Inook Shooks. Driving up from Niagara to Sudbury, ONT, I began to see little rock cairns on the tops of the rock walls on either side of the road. Some look like stacks, and some look like temples, and some look like people and some look like rock piles. They all look purposeful, and as if they are sacred to someone for some reason. I saw hundreds and hundreds of these little sculptures. Some of them incorporate found objects. I am enchanted. As I drove, I got more and more of an emotional charge from seeing one. They seem to be on most if not all of the rock walls on the side of the road. They move me greatly. I will get some photos of them so you can see. I faintly remember Andrea telling me about them once long ago, but don’t remember more than that.

In Canada at Andrea’s house, she has Jim of course, and two black and white Corgis, Keely and Phantom. Keely is a girl and the alpha dog of the house. She rules the roost. I keep Petey on his leash in the beginning while the dogs sort it all out. Petey has no idea how small he really is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home